Manage multiple runtime versions with a single CLI tool, extendable via plugins - docs at asdf-vm.com
asdf is a CLI tool that can manage multiple language runtime versions on a per-project basis. It is like
pyenv (and more) all in one! Simply install your language’s plugin!
Why use asdf?
- single CLI for multiple languages
- consistent commands to manage all your languages
- single global config keeping defaults in one place
.tool-versionsconfig file per project
- support for existing config files
.ruby-versionfor easy migration
- automatically switches runtime versions as you traverse your directories
- simple plugin system to add support for your language of choice
- shell completion available for common shells (Bash, Zsh, Fish, Elvish)
Please head over to the documentation site for more information!
- Getting Started
- All Commands
- All Plugins
- Create a Plugin with our asdf-plugin-template
- asdf GitHub Actions
See CONTRIBUTING.md in the repo or the Contributing section on the docs site.
Community & Questions
- GitHub Issues: report a bug or raise a feature request to the
- StackOverflow Tag: see existing Q&A for
asdf. Some of the core team watch this tag in addition to our helpful community
Ballad of asdf
Once upon a time there was a programming language There were many versions of it So people wrote a version manager for it To switch between versions for projects Different, old, new.
Then there came more programming languages So there came more version managers And many commands for them
I installed a lot of them I learnt a lot of commands
Then I said, just one more version manager Which I will write instead
So, there came another version manager asdf version manager - https://github.com/asdf-vm/asdf
A version manager so extendable for which anyone can create a plugin To support their favourite language No more installing more version managers Or learning more commands