GitPod Golang CLI
Leveraging GitPod for prototyping out a golang cli that interfaces with AWS.
.gitpod.ymlfile must exist in the root directory
- Dockerfile(s) for the environment can be specified in its own directory (
- Commands can be run on start-up, ensuring that the build is working as expected
- GitHub Permissions required to make changes to GitHub Actions workflows
- GitHub Permissions required for a series of commit/pull request based actions
- Workspaces can be provisioned/stopped/cleaned up on-demand
- Docker works on the provisioned nodes
- Extensions & Other components are defined by the
In comparison, the code-server approach is to bake all the dependencies into the same image that is running code-server itself. This means that extensions/settings/etc can be baked onto the image that are common across projects. If working in Docker, it requires a bit more process to work with other docker processes (running on same
docker network, matching file system paths, etc).
GitPod lacks the Progress Web App (PWA) experience that code-server has, which is unfortunate as its very helpful to treat it as if it were its own application.